11 November 2010

Eastern European Cyber-Love

Part of Badvertiser’s staff, as you know, is Russian and Eastern European. There are a few of their kind in the office, but most of our foreign tech and design staff is stationed abroad in the Ukraine, Romania, and Russia.

To communicate with these staff members, we use Skype’s instant messaging program. It should come as no surpise that tech guys have a soft spot for cyber-love, especially when it comes to instant messaging programs.

My profile picture on Skype is a sassy, but blurry photo of me that my friend T. Lo took of me during the Daily T. Lo era of my life in Los Angeles; nothing provocative, but fun. My Skype name is just my name—not, for example, a suggestive mccutiepiexxx. In any case, from what little profile information is avialable, I have attracted the likes of both a Romanian and a Ukrainian cyber-suitor.

It all started on the first day I sent Pasha, the Ukranian, a msg about designing business cards for me. “Sure,” he wrote. “BTW, I like ur pict,” which is cyber-Ukrainian for “By the way, I like your photo.” He's interspersed emoticons of smileys throughout each subsequent business card conversation. Today, after he delievered me a file, I responded with a "thx" followed by a smiley with hearts. I've always liked the smiley with hearts. However, I didn’t realize that this particular smiley file was named “in love.” Pasha is usually pretty prompt about msging me back, but two minutes passed before he sent me a blushing smiley; he must've been debating which smiley to use--should he keep it professional and send me a plain smiley? ambiguous with a wink? No, he went balls to the wall and picked the blushing smiley.

I think I just led Pasha on.

Marinas is the Romanian. He also has a predilection for sending me lots of smileys. His cyber-courtship was ambiguous until last weekend, when he msged me on Saturday afternoon while I was on Skype at one of my other jobs. “Hey Kat, how ru? You working on a weekend>?” Silly Marinas, of course I’m working! I always work! He asked me a question about a client of ours, but only as a segue into small talk. Nothing particularly memorable was discussed, but our casual weekend cyber-encounter gave him the courage to call me on Skype today to ask me a work-related question, which was “an emergency.” (It wasn’t.)

Sounds like Marinas wants to take our relationship to the next level: phone-love.

Who’s going to win my emoticon heart? Stay tuned to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment